International Day is a project culminating topical information from all around the world. The goal of this project was to bring awareness to various social and political topics in dire need of exposure. My task for the international day was to attend and help two different rooms, which I chose beforehand. The two rooms I oversaw were the social science room about the river Niger Delta. The other room was about Venezuela, which covered the country’s current and present condition. My goal was to attract people to the rooms and inform them about the topics. Though just a few visited the first room, the visitors were still active in the activities held there. I also felt that the visitors had grasped a new wave of information before they left, exceeding my expectations I had before the day started.
As stated above, I chose the social science room and the Venezuelan room. We discussed how we would present the videos and engage the visitors, with the teacher. It went without problems or disagreements, though we had some time to our disposal to plan. We made a poster for the social science room where we mentioned Samuel from Bodo, featuring a picture of the polluted river. The planning involved for the Venezuelan room were rather limited compared to the previous room, as we were not given enough information to work on it. Our help did not seem necessary as the activities were held simultaneously as he spoke, making our involvement nonexistent.
We prepered by discussing with the other people in the group. We agreed on the tasks we would take hand of. We planned out how to create a better place for discussion in the social science room, by putting four tables together. At the activities in the social science room, it proved to be effective as the groups engaged in the conversations regarding the videos we showed them.
I chose to solve it in this manner because of my group’s agreement. The option we chose seemed to be the logical conclusion to approach the day. The process worked well for all parts involved. It was effective and comprehensible. Everyone did their part without any notable obstacles.
The visitors of the rooms seemed interested and surely must have learned a few new things, at least I did. The day went without any problems, and the challenges we faced were manageable. The few gripes I had were the lack of promotion for the rooms in the B-building, which resulted in very few people visiting. I talked to various people and no one knew there even were rooms. The lack of help needed at the Venezuelan room left my presence redundant. Though it went well at the social science room, the beginning was still confusing for all parts. Improved communication would have led to improved attendance in the less popular rooms, also would have made it easier to stroll around in the A-building.
I learned a lot about cooperation and responsibility. A bit from sharing information to continue the professionalism in the room. And communicating with my fellow group members. I am proud of my own effort during the day, though it could have been better. Though I blame general lack of promotion for the B-building, I, myself still could have done a better job. Except for a few flaws, I would say International Day was a success in general. The communication in general could have been better, but still did not diminish the amount of rooms still visited. Everyone I asked had visited a room, so International Day’s goal was met, in various degrees.